LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broken_Arrow

Tabbed Comments

A tabbed wiring diagram comment field. Not a constant, just a placeholder for free text.

17661iA4DF90F9D4D1C4A7

Richard

6 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Not happy with code obfuscation, we now want to start with documentation obfuscation???

Seriously though, I can understand the desire for something for this but I'm not sure it's the way to go.....

Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

I'm not advocating that you put all of your comments in the tabbed comment decoration. But when you need to write paragraph-long comments, the diagram can get unnecessarily large. Having tabbed comments facilitates footnote style documentation where space is at a premium.

Richard

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I am Kudoing this Idea to draw attention to the need to have another type of mechanism to conceal "larger" comments without murdering the style of the block diagram. To see BD's with entirely too much comment noise, start browsing the Examples... this level of documentation spectacular, don't get me wrong! It just needs to be presented in a more organized fashion, and in more of an "on demand" fashion (only show the full comment when you hover over a comment preview or 'bubble').

I personally prefer a small icon/bubble that shows the comment in a tip strip or Context Help when you hover over it. See the comments section here and here for other implementations that I prefer.

Manzolli
Active Participant

In this case the user cannot see more than a tab at once, for instance to compare comments. I think the idea Saving Space when Using Free Labels for BD Comments addresses the most important issues, since the user can choose the always visible (crucial information) and the dropdown visible (additional information).

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
CrystalTech

I also would like to give Kudos to this idea, but you have the comments off to the side.  I agree with Jack.  His idea will keep the comment exactly where it is needed, but be mostly hidden when not read.  However, I think a click on the bubble would be less annoying than a hover over the bubble.  Overall it is a great idea.

muks
Proven Zealot

Nice idea. A little improvization If you can call it that way is not to show the comments unless clicked on say the "notes".

But again if there are vis in that space below????Ok trash this and kudos to you.