LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pekko

Support for Ubuntu Linux

While National Instruments definitely recognizes that Ubuntu is the most popular distribution overall currently (http://deviceguru.com/linux-distribution-popularity-trends/), we find that the majority of our enterprise and test customers using Linux distributions are using Red Hat. We continually survey existing and potential customers of National Instruments products and when Ubuntu gains more acceptance within that community then we will definitely revisit the idea of official support of Ubuntu. Here are the four distributions we currently do offically support (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4857A755082E9E228625778900709661?OpenDocument). That being said there are many customers that use LabVIEW on Ubuntu just fine but it's just not officially supported.

Currently LabVIEW only has support for Mandriva, RedHat and SUSE Linux.  What's even worse, only 32-bit versions of those are supported.  Today, 64-bit linux installations are on huge raise, and Ubuntu is getting more and more popular.  LabVIEW Linux support should be expanded to include Ubuntu, and 64-bit versions are needed.

cheers,

Pekko

17 Comments
tommpogg

Maybe "the majority of our enterprise and test customers using Linux distributions are using Red Hat" because Ubuntu (or Debian) users cannot install LabVIEW properly. And so they tend to switch to other design software.

gepponline

?!?!?! what the hell!!
Obviously!
If I was an enterprise and I need to use LabVIEW, but i know that UBUNTU is not supported from  NI, i will use another distribution, even if I'm using Ubuntu nowadays, I have installed Fedora to use LabVIEW under linux with all installer working.

I was using LabVIEW under UBUNTU after converting all rpm packages to DEB but this cause me to manually install all packages.

It seems like the electric car problem.
No one buy electric car 'cause there are no charging stations and no one produce charging stations 'cause nobody has electric car.

...so sad for this answer... 

drval

Yes this is a major problem for me since I am looking at doing a Linux install -- 64 bit -- to support migration of a Windows-based LV application.  I'd like another direct comment from NI on these issues:

1. When will there be a release that officially support 64-bit Linux?

2. When will Ubuntu be officially supported?

These are both issues for me but most especially the second one as another consulting firm with whom I work uses Ubuntu.  I really don't want to try and "cross" implementations of Linux.  I left that nonsense in the Unix world behind 30 years ago.

yonatan_tidhar

I also run into the same situation and wating very long time to 64 bit version of LabVIEW for Linux

NASA_Goddard

Has anyone got the LabVIEW for Linux developement environment working on Chromebook ?  How about merely with a Application builder built LabVIEW app and LabVIEW run time engine ?  If not, how about with the Chrombook OS converted to Ubuntu ?  If yes to any of the above four questions, what version of labview (or labview run time) and which of the three (so far) Chromebooks ?  Thnx in advance...

Dragis
Active Participant

I'll start by saying that I too would love to see LabVIEW directly support Ubuntu, especially 64-bit. However, I'll second the comment that LabVIEW actually generally does work on Ubuntu, it is just not official support. I personally have fixed a few bug requests that were most easily reproducible on Ubuntu. If you find bugs when running on Ubuntu, they will be prioritized with all the other bug reports (at least in my experience). The more people that try to use LabVIEW on Ubuntu, the easier it will be for National Instruments to prioritize work for it.

Note. My use of Ubuntu was mostly for software design with little driver interaction. Make sure you test out all the pieces you'll need before switching to Ubuntu.

DLJ

This functionality is DECLINED?

All Linux distros in my company are moving over to Debian-based Linux, and I am going to have to use a Red Hat version?  And Linux product support is inferior to Windows support?

Windows 10 has been the biggest source of my frustration.  Win7 worked well, but 10 has been nothing but a constant problem.  I have reached the point where Windows is no longer a viable option and must be replaced.  Mint and Ubuntu have been the easiest versions of Linux to start working with, and would be great as my company migrates to Debian platforms.  Unfortunately, I find myself having to review Red Hat platforms, making me unique in my work environment.  Not a position that I am looking forward to being in.

National Instruments should revisit this request.  A survey asking what the preference is should be done.  Asking what is being used is useless, as users have been funneled into something that is supported versus something that is preferred, and is itself a source of frustration.