LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pekko

Support for Ubuntu Linux

While National Instruments definitely recognizes that Ubuntu is the most popular distribution overall currently (http://deviceguru.com/linux-distribution-popularity-trends/), we find that the majority of our enterprise and test customers using Linux distributions are using Red Hat. We continually survey existing and potential customers of National Instruments products and when Ubuntu gains more acceptance within that community then we will definitely revisit the idea of official support of Ubuntu. Here are the four distributions we currently do offically support (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4857A755082E9E228625778900709661?OpenDocument). That being said there are many customers that use LabVIEW on Ubuntu just fine but it's just not officially supported.

Currently LabVIEW only has support for Mandriva, RedHat and SUSE Linux.  What's even worse, only 32-bit versions of those are supported.  Today, 64-bit linux installations are on huge raise, and Ubuntu is getting more and more popular.  LabVIEW Linux support should be expanded to include Ubuntu, and 64-bit versions are needed.

cheers,

Pekko

17 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I have tested LV on Linux before and I believe I got it up and running under Ubuntu, but I'm not 100% sure any more.

IIRC, the main problem is the packaging of the distribution rather than inherent compatibility problems.  You can use "alien" to install rpm packages on a debian-based system.

It's been a while, so my memory may be a bit rusty.  But my memory is certainly that it IS possible to get it up and running on Ubuntu.

Having said all that, it would be great to have the ability to do it in a more "controlled" manner.

muks
Proven Zealot
See this discussion. And yes it will be useful...
Pekko
Intaris, I'm pretty sure that it is possible to get LabVIEW installed on 32-bit Ubuntu without too much hassle.  But is it possible with 64-bit ?
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Sorry, my experience was all with 32-bit.  Forgot to mention that.  The title of the suggestion also makes no mention of 64-bit so I thought this was a secondary concern.

Don't know about nowadays but installing LV (with VISA etc) was a lot of hassle on non-rpm distros a few years back.  Even 32-bit.

Unless I'm just a total Linux N00b (probability approaching 100%)

Message Edited by Intaris on 04-08-2010 02:20 AM
Ray.R
Knight of NI

Totally agree.

I will be moving away from any microsuff bad OS.  

I have Solaris running on a Ultra-Sparc 10 and I will have a couple of Linux machines (6-bits).  It would be good to have LabVIEW available on these, get some experience and convince clients to stay away from windoze..

I have not yet gone to Ubunto, but it is in my list of things to do.  Glad I waited, that way I can go to the 64-bit version. 

Cheers!

keb
I agree too !
Ray.R
Knight of NI
Is there a problem that prevents it from being supported on Ubuntu?
Turbulence

I too would like to see Ubuntu 64 bit supported. I just tried to intsall it on my Ubuntu machine but the Fall 2010 release has the permissions on the cd set so that you can't cd to the install directory. The install script apparently needs to run from there because it can't find a file early on.

I know a lot of people who use linux and none of them use Mandriva, RedHat, or SUSE Linux. Most of them use Ubuntu. Those that don't use gentoo and those folks aren't happy unless the install has some challenge. 🙂

__LC__

The problem for NI can be the short release cycle of Ubuntu. On the other hand NI can only support the LTS versions of Ubuntu.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined

While National Instruments definitely recognizes that Ubuntu is the most popular distribution overall currently (http://deviceguru.com/linux-distribution-popularity-trends/), we find that the majority of our enterprise and test customers using Linux distributions are using Red Hat. We continually survey existing and potential customers of National Instruments products and when Ubuntu gains more acceptance within that community then we will definitely revisit the idea of official support of Ubuntu. Here are the four distributions we currently do offically support (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4857A755082E9E228625778900709661?OpenDocument). That being said there are many customers that use LabVIEW on Ubuntu just fine but it's just not officially supported.