From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
perim

Support for 64-bit linux

Available with LabVIEW 2014 and later

It is 2011, and everyone is either making the transition to 64bit, or have already done so. Yet LabView on Linux is still stuck in 32bit, and this means that for modern Linux installations you have to install a ton of 32bit support libraries just to run LabView. Not to mention missing out on all the 64bit fun that everyone else enjoys these days, such as access to more memory. Please do something about this.

9 Comments
Brian_Powell
Active Participant

Is it sufficient to have 32-bit LabVIEW with 64-bit drivers, or do you need a 64-bit LabVIEW, as well?

JoeFriedchicken
Active Participant

DAQmx Base could move to 64-bit drivers with 64-bit LabVIEW for Linux.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
perim

We need 64-bit LabView in order to avoid installing a huge army of 32-bit compatibility libraries to run it. It would also make writing support functions in C for it simpler on 64-bit systems.

ToeCutter
Active Participant

This needs sorted. NI needs to get more serious on the Linux front all round, IMO.

Richard_Jennings_Younicos

64-bit LabVIEW for Ubuntu

ToeCutter
Active Participant

I raised the 'Linux question' at an NI open day yesterday and the news is not too encouraging. NI do not envisage increasing Linux support, in fact there may be less Linux development in future - this as a result of a lack of customer demand.

JoeFriedchicken
Active Participant

JoeFriedchicken wrote:

DAQmx Base could move to 64-bit drivers with 64-bit LabVIEW for Linux.

NI-DAQmx Base 15.0 added support for 64-bit Linux applications in LabVIEW and C.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
Richard_Jennings_Younicos

FYI - LabVIEW 32-bit installs on non-rpm systems like 32-bit Ubuntu, but neither the 32 or 64-bit version will install on 64-bit Ubuntu. 64-bit LabVIEW installs and runs fine on CentOS. I don't need hardware support in my application so I have not tested it on either platform.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available with LabVIEW 2014 and later