From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CL_eisenwr

Support Python Virtual Environments

I would be helpful if the Python nodes supported Python Virtual Environments. One of the powerful features of Python is able to setup multiple separate environments on a single computer, it would be LabVIEW's Python integration could also leverage this. TestStand already does have this capability, so hopefully it could be quickly/easily leveraged into LabVIEW. 😁

TurboPhil
Active Participant

If the LabVIEW nodes are going to be of any real use, I think this is a hard requirement. 

LDBM
Active Participant

strongly agree.

tfasquelle

In LabVIEW 2021 you can specify python.exe path as an input of the "open python session" vi, allowing you to use a venv or an embedded python.

CL_eisenwr
Active Participant

tfasquelle,

I had tested in the 2021 beta and it did not work out of the box at the time. Specifically I had tried a venv virtual environment and I had to copy a DLL into the Scripts folder for LabVIEW's Open Python to work with that path. Have you tried in the released version?

I have been pointing to the dll in the env (This env installed the different python version it needed, than what was in base):
C:\Users\labadmin\miniconda3\envs\my_virtual_environment\python38.dll

Next, the Anaconda console and "conda activate" environment activation are adding to the PATH environment variable.  These are temporary additions, and also live only within the process chain of the console window.  (One workaround is to make them permanent, but that kinda defeats the purpose,right?) However, after activation of the environment, you can call LabVIEW from that console window, e.g.:

(my_virtual_environment) C:\>"C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2021\LabVIEW.exe"

and then things will work.

It is sure ugly to launch LabVIEW from an Anaconda window. 

CL_eisenwr
Active Participant

I had tried launching LabVIEW from the with the python venv created virtual environment, however it is not working like Anaconda did for D*. I cannot seem to import a module that is only installed in the virtual environment.

"cannot seem to import": does that mean it can't find them?

Does LabVIEW see the environment paths?

If you run from System Exec.vi:

D_0-1642525355721.png

you should see your environment's paths.