From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
meisterplaceb

Stop using removable drives as a temporary location for installation

Declined for reasons listed in AristosQueue's post:

"Microsoft documentation describes "My Documents" as the appropriate place for apps to install files that are meant to be user modified after installation. MS says this is supposed to be a writeable location that the current user (whoever is logged in) always has write access to. There's no other acceptable location for LV to use for such files under the MS rules of installation. If your IT department has made My Documents inaccessible for writing, that's a problem on your end."

When installing recent updates for LabVIEW 2018 an error message came up that said the installer needs access to "My Documents". However this location "file path" is not available.  My company has a drive mapping package that has the my documents located on the server as well as my favorites so it is automatically backed up for recovery purposes.  The installer keeps getting this error and forums state that the IT admins need to get involved every time to update & set my documents to local temporarily to install, then back to the server for automatic backups.  This is very tedious and takes a lot of manpower.  My colleague has the same issue with DIAdem 2018 as well.  Looking to possibly have a fix where it gives the user a browse option to find the file path it needs for the install.  

8 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Sounds like a kind of stupid setup to be honest.

So your system cannot write to "My Documents". I suppose that certainly makes backups easier..... Why doesn't your IT implement things better. I also have "My Documents" on a server drive, but I can install no problem. I think the problem is with your system setup, not with NI.

thols
Active Participant

"Stop using removable drives as a temporary location for installation"

- Are you sure that is what is happening? LabVIEW installs a few things in My Documents I think.

Did you run the installer from a local folder? If not, then try that. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

As a solution (if this is the problem), I'd make the target directories in my documents a symbolic link (mklink) to a local disk...

My documents is a different folder for each user. Each user could mklink to the same local folder.

Worked for me to get Minecraft working under 2 accounts...

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Also, IIRC, My Documents is the MS recommended place to put things.

Where to draw the line? What if Program Files is 'moved' to a removeable disk?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

@ Microsoft documentation describes "My Documents" as the appropriate place for apps to install files that are meant to be user modified after installation. MS says this is supposed to be a writeable location that the current user (whoever is logged in) always has write access to. There's no other acceptable location for LV to use for such files under the MS rules of installation. If your IT department has made My Documents inaccessible for writing, that's a problem on your end.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Declined for reasons listed in AristosQueue's post:

"Microsoft documentation describes "My Documents" as the appropriate place for apps to install files that are meant to be user modified after installation. MS says this is supposed to be a writeable location that the current user (whoever is logged in) always has write access to. There's no other acceptable location for LV to use for such files under the MS rules of installation. If your IT department has made My Documents inaccessible for writing, that's a problem on your end."

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Related:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Error-This-installer-needs-access-to-quot-My-Documents-quot/m-p/139...

Solved, but you won't like the solution! Haven't read the entire thread, there might be some gems in there.

MichaelBalzer
Active Participant

See also this idea: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Make-it-possible-to-change-the-folder-for-My-Document...

and corresponding CAR 448899.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.