From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stateless Mathematics and Signal Processing VIs

Many of the Mathematics and SIgnal Processing VIs retain state, rendering them unusable inside reentrant VIs: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/543589DF37BA48CF8625744A00543FF3

Many of the VIs in this list (all those in my current application, unfortunately) can only work with single-channel data. When manipulating multi-channel data, you can work around that fact by running the channels serially through the VI you need, but that (1) takes much longer for large data sets or several channels, and (2) is not an option when performing live manipulation of streaming data block-by-block.

I ran into this problem while developing code in the Actor Framework, where Do.vi and Actor Core.vi (the two main framework methods) are both Shared Reentrant. Now that AF is a native feature in LV, I expect that more people will run into problems with these VIs.

We need stateless versions of these VIs so we can use multiple copies in on a multichannel data set. You can probably keep backward compatibility by pushing the core logic to a new stateless subVI and keeping the shift register or feedback node on the main VI's diagram.

11 Comments
Active Participant

LVOOP is overkill here. The problem of statefulness can be solved by putting state information in a cluster, and you can make an array of clusters just the same as an array of objects if you want to. Putting the state in a class adds no value, but it does add annoyances associated with creating and managing LVOOP classes. It's also conceptually harder to fathom for programming novices, who make up a significant portion of the LV user base.