From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteenSchmidt

Stacked shift registers - improved graphics

Changes present in LabVIEW NXG. Shift registers with stacked elements have a different appearance than individual shift register terminals. 

Hi,

Extracted from this idea is here a suggestion for improved artwork of stacked shift registers:

Stacked_SR.png

On the left is how stacked shift registers currently looks like, on the right the suggested graphics instead. The reason behind the idea not so much the smaller footprint, but more that it today is hard to distinguish between a stacked shift register and several single shift registers close together.

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
10 Comments
vitoi
Active Participant

If the current spacing is 16 pixels, I would like to maintain it so things line up.

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

I know many things do line up this way in the LabVIEW BD, but there are many exceptions as well. I think Property nodes and cluster elements are 15 pixels, right? Is it really important?

/Steen

GregSands
Active Participant

Property nodes and clusters are font-dependent, unfortunately.  It would be nice if everything was defined around multiples of 8 pixels though.

Jokelnice
Active Participant

This idea seems ideal to keep the code organized and identify the number of iterations.

Ing. Jonathan E. Cruz Ortiz

ENERGÍA PROACTIVA S.A.S

Cel : (+57) 3173669343 - (+57) 3124451894

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

...and add an indication of which one is the first and which one is the last value in the stack. I never remember which is which after a while...

altenbach
Knight of NI

The vertical pitch can stay the same, but I do like that it is visually much easier to tell that it is an expanded single register as opposed to a stack of three different shift registers (without having to look at the right loop boundary, of course).

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

... and allow labels, pretty please?

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

@X: Then you should vote for this idea.

/Steen

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Changes present in LabVIEW NXG. Shift registers with stacked elements have a different appearance than individual shift register terminals. 

Darren
Proven Zealot

Here is a screenshot:

5.png