LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mads

Sort arrow in column headers of tables and listboxes

In general I would like to see LabVIEW more in line with the OS GUI standards. We have dialog controls and colors, however they are not set up to be the default choice - and we lack other GUI elements like status bars, notify icons, child windows etc. etc. A large part of LV-programmers' time is spent on ways to get LV to mimic what users will recognise and therefor intuitively understand.

In this case I simply miss the "sort glyph" that indicates that a table or listbox is sorted based on a given column and in which direction.

I imagine we could show or hide this and set its direction with a property node...It would not handle the sorting (although that would have been neat as well - if you had an in-built sorting that just needed to know a few parameters about the column data to do the job)...

5 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot

Automatic column sorting (including the glyph) on multicolumn listboxes has been spec'ed out in LabVIEW R&D, but has been given a lower priority than other projects.  I would *really* love to see this feature get in.  So let's see some kudos on this one!

-D

rolfk
Knight of NI

Yes please add the sort glyph to the multicolumn listbox. I would be even happy if this would simply be an event that can be added to the event structure so that I can implement the actual sort algorithme myself.

Special Kudos if there would be a possibility to have LabVIEW sort the column itself based on some options like alphanumeric, case sensitive etc. but that would be not really necessary for me.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
BYeske

I just spent all day trying to figure out how to do this, and if it could be done. 

I have decided it can be done, And I am going to try to do it using the information I found in this link:

http://lavag.org/topic/7002-multiple-glyphs-columns/

Also, I believe that i will have to abandon using the Header information, since I cannot put symbols on the headers?

Yeske

Ben Yeske
fabric
Active Participant

100 Kudos! Well done.

So can we *please*  have column sorting now?? Smiley Wink

dsv4

Native sorting and filtering of table control columns would be a great plus.  The associated glyphs would be the next logical addition after that.  Until then, I've been using the OpenG "Sort Array" function (see http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209027)