LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
cy...

Snapshot option flash image for RAD utility

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

Morning forum

Propose to have RAD utility to include a "Snapshot/Clone" function that snap the image "exactly as is" the state of the cRIO/PAC at that image creation instance; that would include the entire drive structure, configurations, bit files, network settings, etc. Restoring from such type of image onto the cRIO will, without fail, guarantees its functionality (at least back to the state the image is created).

This come after the 2nd time of suspected corruption, when I deployed with error in LV causing irreversible/permanent impairment to my deployed RT application. First time being without a backup, that led me to reformat, reinstall and redeploy for one mistake in deployment. Second time being with a backup, apparently incomplete image using the RAD16 (http://www.ni.com/example/30986/en/), upon deployment failure and image restoration, the damage has not been reversed.

Hopefully to see this option developed soon, as the conventionally advised method of reformatting, reinstalling and redeploying cRIO, is not really practical.

Thanks and have a great day...

CY (expired CLAD)
5 Comments
cy...
Active Participant

addendum: ...inclusive of firmware too

CY (expired CLAD)
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This isn't really a LV idea. I forwarded this along to cRIO.

cy...
Active Participant

@AQ: sorry for the wrong post...

and thanks a lot for the forward

CY (expired CLAD)
tic.not.tock

Hi cy,

Thanks for posting on the feedback. We past along this information to the API team which RAD and System Configuration use. For RAD, it is open source, so you could modify it as you see fit for the short-term.  

Here is the github link: https://github.com/ni/rad

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.