From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Smaller Event Ref Constants

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

The smaller footprint of the Local Variables in 2010 has increased usability of the IDE and readability of the LabVIEW language. Another node that could benefit from a smaller footprint is the User Event Ref Constant.

Below is some conceptual artwork on what a smaller footprint might look like. Feel free to post more concepts!

21658iE20B431D386A4E45

29 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Don't forget Queues and Notifiers too.  I'm sure there are more, but those are these three I use most.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Kudos. Those things a are huge pieces of white paper.

Speaking of references, I have an idea regarding static references.

Richard

muks
Proven Zealot

Looks pretty and neat.Kudos!!

elset191
Active Participant

Jack fell a step short I think in his illustration.  With constants that small they could be stacked vertically, thus saving real estate both horizontally and vertically.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I initially stacked them vertically in the mock-up, but there is a 1px overlap between the edges (just like Control References and Local Variables). For the sake of the illustration, I did not want obscure any part of the ref constant so it could be subjected to a more complete visual scrutiny.

Hence, the horizontal staggering.

But yeah, if it's implemented, I too would stack them vertically.

21842iFDC68B6D5920A2B2

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Why can't I kudos this twice?

shoneill
Active Participant

😉

Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Spoiler

Looks like CC is not the only resurrection as of late.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@crossrulz wrote:
Don't forget Queues and Notifiers too.

Of course, this is was an oversight on my behalf to forget Queues and Notifiers. I was fixated on the User Event constants since I use them to "turn on" and "turn off" dynamic event registrations, while Queues and Notifiers don't share a related purpose for dropping NULL refs (not yet, anyway).

So, psuedo_kudos for picking up slack in the Idea.

Mads
Active Participant

It's great that NI implements many of the ideas that have been suggested here, but I think it would be even better if they generated some general guidelines based on those ideas and applied them to the whole GUI of LabVIEW. That way we might have seen things like this idea implemented in LV2010 as well - not just the ones that were already suggested.