From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike-o-tronic

Simplify access to vi reference options

I find it always a hassle to create an asynchronous call with the need of the "Open VI Reference" block. A strict static VI reference should be sufficient. Options should be either available in the properties via context menu, via property node or as input of the "Start Asynchronous Call Node".

I didn't go through the effort to create a property menu example, but here is an a graphic showing the help example and what I would wish for:

Call Options Example.png

12 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> I was wondering if it would be sloppy to not close the SVR.

Closing the SVR is a no-op. The Close Reference node will neither deallocate the SVR nor return an error. This allows the SVRs to be seamlessly included in arrays of other VRs so that the downstream handlers do not have to care how the references were opened. Similar behavior can be seen with the reference returned by the "This VI Reference" node.

> My expectation would be that it is the same for a SVR. Just that it's opened

> as soon as the VI, that contains the SVR, is loaded. Is that correct?

That is correct.

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

I do like some of these ideas since my use cases also following the common ones here. Paul_Cardinale posted an Asynchronous Call XNode over here that is pretty slick that does these pretty well.  Just standard XNode disclaimer, undocumented features, unsupported 3rd party XNode, etc.