LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andi_S

Show inherited VIs as "ghosts" under child class in project tree

Working with class method VIs becomes easily confusing if you need to use VIs from several classes that are inherited from each other. Every class adds or overwrites VIs from one of the ancestor classes but usually you don't know which one. And if you're just user and not developer of this class structure you're usually also not interested in the exact inheritance hierarchy.

Look at the picture: As programmer of the application "main.vi" I'm just interested in Class 3 but I also need to know the internals of Class 1 and Class 2 whereby Class 1 is not even in my project. So I can't see that there are also other cool methods within Class 1 and to get methods from Class 2 I also have to search inside of it and compare against Class 3.

Andi_S_1-1594012798289.png

As reference: This is the content of Class 1

Andi_S_2-1594012849411.png

What I suggest and expect is the following:

Andi_S_3-1594013798865.png

=> The class tree shows all available methods within each single class!

bright colors: Methods that are defined in this class; pale colors: inherited methods

6 Comments
thezephyr

Great idea!

fabric
Active Participant

Love it. (I had planned to propose exactly this a few years back but I got a bit disheartened with the Idea Exchange and the general trend to deprioritise work on "mature LV" in favour of NXG...)

This concept lends itself to some nice extensions:

• Double click on greyed-out methods to go to the defining class
  • Ability to drag-and-drop ancestor methods to the BD without opening the parent
  • "New:VI for override" functionality could be directly exposed by right-clicking the greyed-out method
Andi_S

to NI admin: could you please correct my typo in the headline? 😁

(new idea: support post-editing of ideas)

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>(new idea: support post-editing of ideas)

That will only work for me if the kudos are reset to 0... Or an idea can change so much it won't be the idea people voted for.

Like the idea though.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

BTW. if you want to change the title, you should click Options>Report to a Moderator.

thadyale

Fantastic idea.  NI, get to work!