From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tst

Show hidden controls as "ghosts" in edit mode

The ability to show hidden controls at edit time has been implemented in LabVIEW 2021.

I occasionally hide controls on my FP and control their visibility programmatically during the execution of my program. The problem is that if I edit my UI and the control is hidden, it's very easy not to be aware that it's there and to accidentally overlap it, hide it or even move it off the screen.

To solve this, I usually try to save the VIs with all the controls visible, but that's not always feasible.

A better solution - LabVIEW should always show hidden controls in edit mode. It should just have some way of differentiating them from visible controls. This mockup shows them as ghosts, but it can also be any other solution:

20779iD19E3A04FFDC0A31

In run mode, of course, the control would not be shown. This is similar to the black border you get when objects overlap a tab control.

Trusted Enthusiast

Hi Darren,

Will this idea see the light in LV2020?!

It has been full four years (leap year to leap year, Rio to Tokyo) since you changed it to development!

If you could share with us the details & difficulties encountered in implementing the same, it'd be a great insight to learn about "big feature implementation", which we call as an Epic in Agile methodology. Would you?!

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Darren
Proven Zealot

This won't be in LV 2020. I don't exactly remember the circumstances that caused us to move the idea to 'In Development', but to my knowledge there's nothing currently in motion for this idea. I'm going to move it back to 'New' so it can get back on our radar for LV 2021 or a future release. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: New

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

It got approved for LV2020. Then we had a company-wide reorganization, and after the musical chairs, this feature was left unstaffed. Darren and I will ask again for LV2021 (we are part of the team that raises items from the Idea Exchange for consideration), but it'll be back competing against the other priorities raised by Sales and internal R&D and Systems Engineering. Just because it was top-of-heap last time doesn't bear on whether it is top-of-heap this time.

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Development

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Beta

Christina Rogers
Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: Completed

The ability to show hidden controls at edit time has been implemented in LabVIEW 2021.

Christina Rogers