LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthew_Williams

Show buffer allocation pop-up detail

A pop-up that appears when a user hovers over a buffer allocation dot would be very useful.

Data to display:

1) size of allocation in bytes

2) expected longevity (freed when vi quits vs. USR)

3) frequency of allocation (once at first run, each loop, etc.)

I know some of the data can only be a best guess but whatever additional data we can get

will be an improvement, especially when dealing with large data sets.

Thanks.

Matt

8 Comments
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant
Easier-to-see dots would also be nice - maybe red, and/or larger. Just IMO due to my aging eyes.
Richard

RavensFan
Knight of NI
What version of LabVIEW are you using?  I know in most recent versions  (starting LV 8.0??) , the coercion dots are red by default, and are also changeable within the Options/Environment dialog box.  In LV 7.1, the coercion dots are grey by default, but that is also changeable in the Options/Color dialog box.  But in either case, I don't think you can change the size.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Ravens, not coercion dots... black buffer allocation rectangles when you go to Tools>Profile>Show Buffer Allocations.
Message Edited by JackDunaway (mechelecengr) on 09-21-2009 12:41 PM
RavensFan
Knight of NI
You're right.  My mind must not have been fully awake yet when I read that.  I agree, those buffer allocation dots are difficult to see and have kudoed the idea.
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Data to display:

> 1) size of allocation in bytes

Do you want static top-level allocation or complete allocation of the data inside that buffer? In other words, suppose you have a cluster of a double and a string, and the double has value 3.4 and the string has value "ABC". The top-level size on a 32-bit machine would be 12 (8 bytes for double and 4 bytes for  the string handle) and wouldn't change no matter what the value. The full data size would be 23, accounting for the string pointer and the 4 byte length field and the actual ABC text. 

> 2) expected longevity (freed when vi quits vs. USR)

All buffer allocations have the same longevity: As long as the VI stays in memory. None of them are freed when the VI stops running.

> 3) frequency of allocation (once at first run, each loop, etc.)

All buffer allocations have the same allocation: When the VI comes into memory. 

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> None of them are freed when the VI stops running.

Except when a user uses the explicit garbage collection primitive whose name I forget. I've never used it. 

Matthew_Williams
Active Participant

>> Data to display:

>> 1) size of allocation in bytes

>Do you want static top-level allocation or complete allocation of the data inside that >buffer? In other words, suppose you have a cluster of a double and a string, and >the double has value 3.4 and the string has value "ABC". The top-level size on a >32-bit machine would be 12 (8 bytes for double and 4 bytes for  the string handle) >and wouldn't change no matter what the value. The full data size would be 23, >accounting for the string pointer and the 4 byte length field and the actual ABC >text. 

An indication of 'data' space and 'overhead' space would be nice, but total memory consumption would be fine, too.   Another option would be to just add a total memory consumed (for the probed item) indication to a probe.  Might be easier to implement, and would provide more information as you could watch memory consumption increase as the program runs.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
Memory consumed can be tracked using Tools >> Profile >> Performance and Memory... tool. I really can't imagine any value to probing this for a particular terminal. It would be easy enough for someone to write, but my instinct says that it would be so rarely used that it wouldn't be worth R&D's time to put it together. If you want to write such a custom probe, you can, using the information in the external code manual (see LV's help files) and the VariantType library for traversing types located in <LabVIEW>\vi.lib\Utility\VariantDataType