LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsiegel

Show better version information for package dependencies in NI Package Manager

Available in the latest NI Package Manager.

Installers should show the public version of dependencies instead of internal versions.

This is a specific example, but I presume this behavior is more widespread:  An Add-On that has a dependency on LabVIEW NXG doesn’t list the (public) version of LabVIEW NXG upon which it depends.

The OpenG Library v1.0.0.0 depends on LabVIEW NXG v1.0.  But the installer indicates the version of LabVIEW NXG to be installed is v 4.9.3.49152-0+f0.  To someone not familiar with the internal version numbering for LabVIEW NXG, it’s not obvious that this refers to LabVIEW NXG 1.0. This may lead someone to install an undesired version of NXG.

Review.png

(I had NXG 2.0 already installed, and I assumed, incorrectly, that the version of NXG that the OpenG dependency referred to would also be NXG 2.0.)

By changing some NIPM settings (e.g., enable the "Show full version numbers and infrastructure packages" option), one can logically (but not definitively) deduce the public version that the internal version is referring to:

Review 2.png

3 Comments
GreyGrey
NI Employee (retired)

This is something that we are currently looking into for future versions of NI Package Manager. Thank you for providing this feedback!

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

APena

Hi, I just wanted to follow up and mention that this has been changed. We now show the public version:

NIPM_publicversion.png

Thanks again for providing this feedback.

Aaron Peña

Product Owner, Package Management

National Instruments

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in the latest NI Package Manager.