LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IlluminatedG

Show a different broken arrow when the VI doesn't have errors itself.

Hopefully low hanging fruit? I'm constantly checking the error list when working in a VI that's part of a broken class hierarchy to see if the VI itself has errors or if it's just due to a hierarchy error or dependency error. I often repeatedly check it to confirm if the VI I'm currently working in has the errors and could save a bunch of time if something was different about the broken run arrow and I only had to glance at it to confirm I can move elsewhere in my development as expected, or continue to the error list to see what's really broken.

~ The wizard formerly known as DerrickB ~
Gradatim Ferociter
7 Comments
IlluminatedG
Active Participant

Specifically, I'm talking about when the run arrow is broken but the VI in the error list doesn't have a red X next to its name:

noredarrowerror.png

In this case I had renamed another must-override VI in a related class to cause the hierarchy to break to get this screenshot.

Apologies for the censorship and heinous code to have in a LV app, I'm too lazy to open a project on another machine 😉

Gradatim Ferociter
Bas.v.E

I recognize your problem. And especially with override methods, this is a problem that takes more time than necessary. Do you have suggestions what the broken arrow should look like?

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI
IlluminatedG
Active Participant

wiebe, we got to stop meeting like this!

I'd say that's about as duplicate as it gets. I promise I did a search for "broken run arrow" this time 🙂

Gradatim Ferociter
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Yeah, I had a hard time finding it myself. I stored a link on my HD, but a search didn't work..

IlluminatedG
Active Participant

Bas.v.E different. Doesn't matter much to me. Yellow outline? Maybe keep VIs with broken dependencies as-is but put a red outline on VIs that actually have the errors? I'm just looking for something that differentiates it somehow but doesn't intrude on recognizing that something is broken in a hierarchy.

Gradatim Ferociter
IlluminatedG
Active Participant

Another idea for this, mirror the state of the red X in the error list to the left of the broken run arrow: If the VI itself has errors, show the red X to the left of the run arrow. If it's only dependencies that have errors, no red X.

Gradatim Ferociter