LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbc12

Shortcut Keystroke to show list of functions or VI's with coerced inputs

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

It is always great practice to make your code as readable and scalable as possible, along with good documentation.  One of the things that get overlooked the most, without even realizing, is having coerced inputs to your functions or VI's.  When you have finished developing a program, it goes through a great deal of review to validate all its functionalities.  Coerced inputs can be one of those issues that can come back to haunt you down the road.  I think having an icon on the toolbar and/or a shortcut keystroke to populate a list of all VI's containing coerced inputs would be a great help with identifying all the necessary functions that need to be examined.

6 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

VI analyzer has a test for coercion dots.

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

Yes I agree and that option would make sense. But I would not care about the Key combination to access it but a window similar to Breakpoint Manager.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

VI Analyzer?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Coerced inputs is just one of many "warning" conditions you need to check for in code. I agree with previous comments that VI Analyzer is the right place to put this information. If you want it during development, you can turn on the Tools >> Options setting to make compiler warnings show up in the Error List Window, but most folks find that to be too noisy during development... thus VI Analyzer is the tool to run when you're ready to submit code to your source code control repository.

Nathan_S

I would suggest using VI Analyzer as a strategic alternative in your business sector. 

--------------------------------------------------

Nathan - Certified LabVIEW Developer
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.