LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiebe@CARYA

Shift Delete to remove structure (in stead of deleting it)

As it is now, when we select a structure, we can delete it, but everything in it will be gone as well.

If we right click, we can select Remove <structure>, and that will remove the structure, but keep everything in the active frame.

This idea is quite simple: make Shift+Delete do a Remove <structure>:

Shift Delete To Remove Structure.PNG

As a bonus, CTRL+Delete could execute a Remove and Rewire:

CTRL Delete To Remove and Rewire.PNG

10 Comments
Bob_Schor
Knight of NI

Never mind ...

Frozen
Active Participant

I love short-cuts. You got my vote 🙂

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
cbutcher
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd probably be more tempted by a default quick-drop shortcut? The "bonus" item is easier for me as (Ctrl+Space, Ctrl+R), the delete key is quite far away...
But the right click is not great, so the Shift+Delete seems like a nice addition.

GCentral
BertMcMahan
Active Participant

Yeah you can remove/rewire with quick drop- Ctrl R.

I made a quick and dirty Remove Structure quickdrop plugin to do this- it's like two lines of code and works well. Just recast the "selected" items to Structure then call the Remove Structure method.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

QD is still 4 keys, not 2. 😁

Of course it should be added to QD as well.

I'd use the right shift and ctrl. They are even closer (on average) to the delete then the ctrl is to space and R... I also have sticky keys on, so I can click ctrl and delete sequential, in stead of together (which still works). Great for 'cat arm' (when there's a cat on my arm).

Darren
Proven Zealot

Ctrl-Space, Ctrl-Shift-R will do Remove Structure. This already ships with LabVIEW. But you're still right, 5 keys is more than 2. I see this idea as requesting a keyboard shortcut that requires fewer keys to remove a structure.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>Ctrl-Space, Ctrl-Shift-R will do Remove Structure. This already ships with LabVIEW.

I did not know that. Thanks.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

If we did this, it would be one more reason that I would want right-click menu text to display shortcut keys so that this is discoverable. Otherwise, we spend a lot of time adding the feature and most people never find out about it.

Gleichman

@AristosQueue "we"? Have you rejoined the dev team? Is there a idea exchange suggestion for adding right click shortcuts?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

@Gleichman -- let's call me "emeritus". 🙂 As long as I still get called in to help with bugs or am sending in small features built in my spare time, I'll continue to use "we".

I do not believe there is any existing idea for adding right-click shortcut keys.