From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Ujjval Shah

Selective Auto Drop feature

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

I loved it when the feature Clt+Space , Clt+D was introduced. In fact it was jaw dropping for me when I first saw it. Smitten by the new LV version I used it extensively. But slowly I realized that it sometimes add unwanted controls and indicators too which I have to delete them manually later on. Now, I have kinda stopped using this feature.

So, it will be great if we can have selective auto-drop.

For ex.

Currently when i use this feature i get this:

cur2.jpg

cur3.jpg

Here is a new proposition:

When I move my mouse and select the subvi(s) and hit a shift key (can be any other key), it should show me all the corresponding controls and indicators in greyed out area. With the shift key still pressed I can go around and click on the controls and indicators that i want to keep. After doing that and on release of the shift key it should come back to normal

new 1.jpg

Imagine how beautiful the life would be when the same thing can be done with multiple subvis selected. Especially when you are doing DAQ/HSDIO etc programming using lower level vis.

3 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

I don't see how your proposal saves you any time or trouble over letting all the controls be added and deleting them later.  It seems like the same amount of mouse clicks either way.  And the need to have some sort of modifier key like holding down the shift pretty much guarantees you'll forget the correct mouse/button combination, or wind up accidentally letting go while you are stepping through the controls.

David_L
Active Participant

While I'm not sure if I agree with this exact change, your idea inspired my new idea to clean up the current Auto Drop placement

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.