LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
efarr

Selecting a front panel control should highlight a terminal

I inherited lots of VIs with complicated terminal connectors. It is a challenge to determine which terminal is associated with a given control. 

Why not highlight the associated terminal when a front panel control has been selected?

In other words, currently when I select a terminal, the corresponding control is highlighted. I'm proposing that it should also work the other way -- when I select a control, the corresponding terminal gets highlighted. 

I have just figured out a workaround, but it's clumsy. I can temporarily delete the control, observe which terminal goes white, and then immediately restore it with Control Z. But my proposed solution would be cleaner. 

Thanks

10 Comments
fabric
Active Participant

Nice idea. I've wanted this before too!

dan_u
Active Participant

Double-clicking a terminal highlights the control and vice versa. No need to delete the control.

fabric
Active Participant

dan_u:  It's the connector pane terminal Smiley Wink

Perhaps that wasn't so clear from the title...

PaulG.
Active Participant

This is one of those "I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested before" ideas. Smiley Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
efarr

Yes, I was referring to the connector pane terminal. Sorry I was unclear. 

crossrulz
Knight of NI

It only makes sense.  We already have the opposite (select the connector terminal and the control/indicator is selected).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

If you turn off the autotool and select a control or indicator with the wiring tool you will highlight the terminal in the ConPane.

Rafal_Kor

this is such an obvious feature to have that it should've been there from the very beginning.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Similar to the comment at the end of this idea, but in fact, identical to this earlier idea.

You may also want to read this idea for a more ambitious suggestion.

All (and more) are easily found with a search for "connector pane" in the Idea Exchange.

As an excuse for the original poster, this might not have worked that well in 2012...

Darren
Proven Zealot