LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select Control/Indicator first when wiring to the connector pane (w/ Auto Tool)

Via this link, I learned, "If automatic tool selection is disabled, you can use the Wiring tool to select the control or indicator first and then select the terminal."

I happen to like using the automatic tool selection, so can this be an option when automatic tool selection is enabled?

SelectControl1stIdea_JoB.png

E.g. if one (and only one) control/indicator is selected, clicking on a connector pane terminal will connect the control/indicator.

(I can't count the number of times I've *tried* to do this, even though it didn't work.)

-joeorbob

3 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

If you select a control, then the CP terminal, simply click the control and it's attached. This would save only one click! And maybe some frustration.

If you know you need to select the CP terminal first, then the control, it would be just as fast, because you save selecting the control.

User002
Not applicable
wiebe@CARYA wrote:

If you select a control, then the CP terminal, simply click the control and it's attached. This would save only one click! And maybe some frustration.

One click and some mouse travel time, and (of course) some frustration. 😉 Though it also disrupts flow.

What you described is typically what I end up doing (once I realize the connection wasn't made with my 2nd click).

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

If you know you need to select the CP terminal first, then the control, it would be just as fast, because you save selecting the control.

And yes, after I perform the above "extra click" for the first terminal, I do it in the other order for the rest of the terminals.

I think I'm suggesting this more because it seems so intuitive.

I've selected a control, I go to the connector pane, the Wiring Tool is *already showing*...but clicking the terminal *doesn't* wire the selected control.

The whole reason I looked up this link was because I thought this option should exist, and sure enough, what I'm suggesting is normal enough that it *does* exist...with manual tool selection.

I'll admit, there are other ideas I would like to see implemented sooner than this. This is pretty low priority. But if it happens to be easy to implement, why not quickly add it into a new LV version? It almost seems like a bug fix. 😄 (If it weren't documented already, I might have reported it as a bug instead.)

-joeorbob

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

The wiring tool is always there when hovering over the icon of course, signaling that you can click a terminal and then select a control\indicator 😉.

But I think it would work well if we could wire it as you propose. I think it makes sense to be able to wire it like that.

I wander if it's duplicate, but I can't find it (which doesn't mean much). So, benefit of the doubt, +1.