LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Segment the LabVIEW Run Time Engine (RTE) to ONLY Necessary Components

For distribution, only package necessary libraries in installer packages built with the project. A lightweight UI, server, or client does not need a full 70MB+ installer that bloats out to a few hundred MB's once installed! A colleague has remarked that the total size of our LabVIEW application+RTE EXCEEDS the entire size of the XPe image running on the embedded computer! This becomes an issue when distributing software upgrades to places in the world without high-speed internet connectivity.
15 Comments
MikeS81
Proven Zealot

If we get this feature, then i think we need a switch to turn it on or off. In some cases we need the entire runtime engine, for example to load dynamical vi's which are not part of the application.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Very true - a switch to turn it on and off would be nice. Logistics and support might get hairy, but NI may go so far as to provide a list of components in the RTE that you can check/uncheck that you want included (with the ones called by the app already pre-checked and dimmed).
vix
Active Participant
Active Participant

I asked NI for a modular RTE so many times...

.. so Kudos to this idea!!

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
Tom_Hawkins
This sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure why it has the 'Third party integration and API's' tag?
JimFortuna
I am trying to distribute a LabVIEW executable to sailors on boats in remote areas where they have limited access to the internet, and no mail service to send them a diskThe run-time is too big to send out from my web serviceI have tried breaking it up from the installer, but it does not seem to work properlyDoes anyone have any suggestions?
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
altenbach has distilled the essence of this Idea into four words: Build Spec: Standalone Executable. See Build executables that don't require a runtime engine for details on the conversation.
josborne
Active Participant

This would be a huge improvement, and has been something I have been complaining about for a long time.  Let's all KUDO this idea and get it implemented! 

http://www.medicollector.com
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

For anyone following along, I have posted an article about how to achieve this (don't hesitate to drop a line if you get stuck!): http://wirebird.co/Minify-RTE

fomine

Thank you, Jack!

That helped me to reduce my app to 35MB, and that including the VISA rt 🙂

Best,

Evgeny

-fomine

@fomine wrote:

Thank you, Jack! .... That helped me to reduce my app to 35MB

Excellent! Your customers will love you for it 🙂

The time savings for you and your end-users uploading/downloading 35MB vs 200MB+ is truly significant.

(Check your private messages -- I'm interested to hear more about your experiences, as this process more resembles an art than a science)