LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WalterRebsch

Search windows results

Right now the search window results have 3 columns, a check box, a number, and a string containing 4 pieces of info (the vi name, window type, object type and element type).

My idea is to reformat the last column into 4 columns.  The results would be the exact same, however they would be in 4 columns.  Then make the multi-column list box sort-able.  So if I click the list on the top of window type, then all the diagrams would be sorted together and all the panels would be together.

The most useful part of this for me would be sorting by object type.  If I look for something very common and get say 500 hits in my project, sorting by object type would be a big help.  Now I can quickly locate the group of hits for, like, an "EnumConstant", or whatever type of object I'm interested in.  Now I don't have to slowly look though the whole list looking for the object types I'm interested in.

2 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Id really like a 5th column as well, showing the matched text (for a text search). Of course with filter option. The text can be different for each result, when we do a reg.ex. search...

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Please take a look at LabVIEW NXG and its revised search experience. It is low priority, but we may in the future revise the LabVIEW 20xx search. If we do, we will likely use NXG as a model UI. Your feedback about that experience would be useful if we tackle this and other search-related ideas.