LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blokk

Save as and "open additional copy" - Close original VI

Declined for reasons listed by AQ: "I'm going to do something I rarely do. I'm just going to  flat say "no" to an idea even though it is something we technically could do.

I spent a couple years working on Save As with various other teammates. That dialog is balanced on a knife's edge between having enough functionality to get the job done and being too complex to figure out the options. It comes close to inducing panic in people who need to use it.

Anything that can be achieved outside of the dialog is explicitly something that needs to be pushed out of this dialog. When you do "Open additional copy", it is straightforward to close the original after the Save As is complete. Is it an extra couple clicks? Yes. I am very firmly -- and with some usability testing to back me -- convinced that this is a better decision than putting even a single checkbox into that dialog.

If you were asking for functionality that could not be achieved by other means, I'd have to think about it. But a tiny efficiency gain is not, in my opinion/observation/evaluation, worth the added complexity of one more line in that dense dialog."

Self-explanatory screenshot with the requested new feature, please see below. More here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Save-as-with-quot-open-additional-copy-quot/m-p/3322789/highlight/tr...

save_as_new_feature.png

3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I'm going to do something I rarely do. I'm just going to  flat say "no" to an idea even though it is something we technically could do.

I spent a couple years working on Save As with various other teammates. That dialog is balanced on a knife's edge between having enough functionality to get the job done and being too complex to figure out the options. It comes close to inducing panic in people who need to use it.

Anything that can be achieved outside of the dialog is explicitly something that needs to be pushed out of this dialog. When you do "Open additional copy", it is straightforward to close the original after the Save As is complete. Is it an extra couple clicks? Yes. I am very firmly -- and with some usability testing to back me -- convinced that this is a better decision than putting even a single checkbox into that dialog.

If you were asking for functionality that could not be achieved by other means, I'd have to think about it. But a tiny efficiency gain is not, in my opinion/observation/evaluation, worth the added complexity of one more line in that dense dialog.

Blokk
Trusted Enthusiast

I understand your reasoning. I am just going to pick a proposed workaround, or find an own one. I feel in this case (and many others) I have more a problem with how Windows handle opening new windows, and how I can sort between them. But for that I can find a Windows/third party solution... For example I prefer much better how the different Linux distributions handle the workspace with several opened windows, it gives me a more "see what's going on" feeling. But this can be reached also in Windows with some tricks/apps...I guess in this way I might find also a solution to another annoying behaviour: when clicking and bringing a LabVIEW BD for example to front, it also brings to front other LabVIEW windows on my second/first monitor, might hiding some non LabVIEW window which I need to see (I am not sure how this windows handling is called in English... Anyway, I have seen an idea exchange post about this behaviour too).

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Declined for reasons listed by AQ: "I'm going to do something I rarely do. I'm just going to  flat say "no" to an idea even though it is something we technically could do.

If you were asking for functionality that could not be achieved by other means, I'd have to think about it. But a tiny efficiency gain is not, in my opinion/observation/evaluation, worth the added complexity of one more line in that dense dialog."