From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
jacemdom

Save a subvi in same file as parent file

That would be usefull to elimimate all the files needed by a polymorphic VI and would also be useful in malleable VIMs where a portion of the code is needed in multiple cases but will or should never be used outside of the VIM.

4 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I put my polymorphic VIs inside of an LLB.  That should meet your needs.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
jacemdom
Active Participant

I agree it's the closest that can be done with the current tools but that was not the idea. The goal was too have one file visible in the file system only. Putting things inside a llb would mean at least 2 files if i want the inside "main" file to be visible also. Also means more steps to create and also modify my scripting tools to take the llb into consideration.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Duplicate (and duplicate is declined):

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Save-polymorphic-VI-as-single-file/idi-p/1061975

We are not going to be implementing this.

a) The rise of source-code control systems strongly pushes back against this sort of packaging during development. LabVIEW NXG investigated and concurs with previous analysis.

b) For deployment in LabVIEW 20xx, LLBs exist and serve the role quite well. For LV NXG, deployment is done through packages that go beyond just the VIs and include the necessary support files (such as the help documents) that such a library of VIs would need.

Darren
Proven Zealot