LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlokanis

Save Changes dialog should allow you to checkout files from SCC

Alternative solutions listed in comments

Often when I edit several files in a project, I end up affecting some files that I did not realize.  Sometimes this is due to edit made to common files even before I opened the project.  In any case, I need to save the newly recompiled VIs.  But, since I did not directly edit them, they were not automaticlaly checked out.  So, when I try to close the calling VIs, I get this dialog:

Save Changes

The problem is, since these were not checked out, they are still read only and I cannot save them.  There is no simple way to check this files out of SCC either.  So, I am stuck trying to find them in the hirarchy and then check them out before I can close the VIs.

All I want is some way to either check these out or find them quickly in my project so I can check them out from there.

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

There are two preferred solutions to this problem. The first is to tell your source code control system to bring down LV source files as writable by default so that these programmatic changes can be applied to the files without having to modify them. The second is to use the new feature of LV 2011... in VI Properties dialog, on the General page, enable the checkbox to "Separate source from compiled code." (That's not the exact text, but it's the only checkbox on that page.) That removes the need to save the other VIs entirely since the updated version of the VI with all the changes made by dependencies are separated into a local VI image.

FermWorks

At least with perforce, you can use the SCC option to check out callers whenever you check out a VI, and then revert unchanged files in the change list before checking code back in.

Your idea is good though, simpler.

jlokanis
Active Participant

I am aware of the separate source from compiled option.  Just not ready to take that plunge yet.  And I feel it is too dangerous to have all my SCC files writeable all the time.

In the case above, I had modified a common type def outside the project.  When I opened the project, VIs that were dependant on that type def decided that they needed to be saved when they were loaded into memory as part of some other edits I was doing.

How about this: if a VI is loaded into memory and LabVIEW decides it needs a recompile AND it knows it is in SCC, prompt me to check it out.  LV already does this when I try to edit a VI that is in SCC.  Why not do it when LV is the one doing the 'edit'?

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
JordanG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Alternative solutions listed in comments