LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sth

Right Click - set default value for multiple items

When you select several items the "right-click" functionality is available only for common operations.  One of those common operations for several controls and indicators would be to set the current value to default or set the default value to the current value.  Both of these are available from the menu option for multiple selections.

However, this option is removed from the right click option when multiple items are selected.  Why?  Simple UI configuration.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

9 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

A reasonable suggestion.

In the meantime, the functionality does exist: When you have multiple items selected, use the Edit menu -- the "Make Current Values Default" gets replaced with "Make Selected Values Default". 

sth
Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Yes, I am aware and use this a lot.  As I said, that functionality is available in the menus.  But my brain says that since it works so well with a single control using right click let's try it with multiple controls since that *should* work.  Then I see that it doesn't and go to the edit menu.

This is a UI improvement for workflow and not new functionality.  It has just bugged me for a couple of years and I thought I should finally write it down.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I my opinion, all shortcut menu items than all of the selected controls/indicators/etc share should be shown.  I'm stating things like radix visibility if multiple numeric controls and/or indicators are selected.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
sth
Trusted Enthusiast

@crossrulz, agreed!  But baby steps, baby steps.....

Of course if it takes too much computation to create the menu and there is a long lag to pop it up, there will be pushback.  But the supported items could be bits of a 64 bit integer and just AND the integers and make the menu....

Trying to make this idea not too big of an engineering barrier to tunnel through.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

I think someone could make a shortcut menu plug in to do this?

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I think someone could make a shortcut menu plug in to do this?

Seems easy enough - https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Shortcut-Menu-Plug-Ins/Control-default-values-llb/ta-p/4105788

Nonetheless, +1. I like things like this to be in LabVIEW.

sth
Trusted Enthusiast

@tst, seems good, should be incorporated into LV distribution.  But that plugin doesn't work for me for LV19.  When I open in in LV 19 it doesn't even show that it is recompiled???  Should be one for common things for all selected controls/indicators.  For example should also "make label visible", Make increment/decrement visible etc. would also be nice.  These are small things, but should be part of the standard environment.  That plugin (by NI) should be distributed.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Well, the plugin does have the compiled code separated, so it shouldn't show as recompiled. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you, other than that you need to restart or LV or force a refresh of the menus for it to load.

As for making other plugins, they could either be developed individually, or this could be rolled into a single plugin which will implement all of the missing ones. The example shows that it's easy enough for things with scripting support. Of course it would be nice if NI baked it in, but that requires waiting and hoping. If this did bother me enough, I would just take the time once and write it (it doesn't, so others are welcome to expand on my plugin).