LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthias_H

Revision of many VIs written by NI (usage of the error cluster)

Hello,

I'm telling my strudents how they should use the error cluster and how important it is. In subvis no error dialogs should be shown and so on (see topics of LabVIEW Core 1 / Core 2).

But many VIs written by NI have been programmed very sloppy.

Example: VI "Write into spreadsheet file". The error cluster is not wired to the inputs/outputs and if an error occures, an error dialog would pop up. Here is the block diagram of your V "Write into spreadsheet file"I:

spreadsheed_file.PNG

Please check all of your VIs and do a revision that we can make well-coded applications where the error handling will work correctly.

Regards

13 Comments
Freelance_LV
Active Participant

I would support 's idea of the forum participants to volutneer and clean up the example VIs. But, we can apply our names and NI can select a list of say about 50 or whatever is practical. That can be a project in itself.

I have found in many instances where I had to reuse the example VIs for some testing and their block diagrams would be the first things to be taught to students under the chapter 'Bad Practices' or 'Do Not Do..' 

May be we can start a new board for volutneers to upload files which are at least cleaned up, neatly wired and documented along with routing the error cluster.

As we all have different versions of LV, who ever needs to reuse can get it reverted for lower versions.

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast

The read from spreadsheet file drives me NUTS not having the error cluster. I just ran into this the other day and was actually thinking of posting an idea on it, before randomly stumbling across yours. I have just created a copy without the general error handler in it because not having the error cluster frustrated me one too many times!

V_T_S

The Full User Interface code which ships with TestStand and LabVIEW has around 50 globals in it. Many people use that code as baseline for their user interface, that code definately need a revision.