LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Yamaeda

Reversible Merge Errors

I rather often end up in a situation where, if i split an error wire, the split away part is less important, or atleast secondary to the "Main" thread. Thus, when i merge error wires back, i need to wire the broken off part below the Main error, else i can hide or switch error codes, which happens all too easily. It is however a necessary evil right now.

Suggestion: Add a "Reverse error list" to the Merge errors where the bottom one is most important. I guess the merge errors technically does a build array and break at the first error found, so what this'd do is reverse the array.

What'ya think?

/Yamaeda

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
7 Comments
ToeCutter
Active Participant

Do you actually need to reverse the array? Can't you just swap the order of the input wires to the merge error function?

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Yes, my point is that i wish to avoid that as it causes many wire crossovers. It'd lead to cleaner code.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
ToeCutter
Active Participant

Ah ok. I can't support this one. The same argument could be made for all kinds of functions, but I think it would actually make diagrams less clear, not more.

If this doesn't get support, you could always wrap the existing merge errors VI to add the functionality you want.

elset191
Active Participant

This has been suggested before here

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Darren
Proven Zealot
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

If I understand you correctly it's because you want to avoid the wire-crossover when doing something like this:?

Error_1.png

If that's the case why not just do this:?

Error_2.png

Being able to reverse the order on Merge Errors is just one modification. In other use cases you might want an entirely different ordering/prioritization. I'd suggest you place your code in the order that gives the fewest wire crossings. The current LV IDE unfortunately can't help you with this (not even BD cleanup), so it's a manuel hassle 😕 But I'm not in favor of modyfying the prims to reorder their inputs.

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

Bonus info on a slightly different use case; if you want to retain all your errors and warnings, both the most important ones and the less important ones, still within an error wire that isn't an array, you can use the Append Errors function which automatically will sort by priority for when you split the errors and warnings out of the error cluster again - then you don't have any wire-crossings:

Error_3.png

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion