LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andi_S

Resolve SubVI / inverse "create SubVI"

When a diagram grows during the development process it's a normal act to select a part of the diagram and call the function "create SubVI".

Doing it in the opposite way (LV 2009) is very time consuming: open SubVI, go to diagram, select the code, copy, going to the main VI, removing the original SubVI, increasing the space, paste the code, re-wiring everything

=> what I really would like to see is a simple function that replaces a selected SubVI by its diagram code.

6 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

What's wrong with just leaving the subVI?  Very rarely would I want to unsubVI something.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Enrico_Segre
Active Participant

You need the subvi code when you realize that you have to modify it, for instance including something which was left on the caller diagram, or factoring out a part of it, changing the connector. Heartedly +1 kudo.

cyro
Had the same Idea yesterday in my mind... I'm debugging a RT VI with 5 loops parallel all divided in different SubVIs. To debug them I created a new VI with all VIs (8 VIs top-down) extracted so I can probe them parallel without opening them. It would be very nice to "unfold" them and interact within one VI and even change code within this VI so I don't have to change it in the appropriate VIs...
mniedernhuber
Andi_S

hey, great!!  🙂

Why is it not enabled by default ??

Petru.T
NI Employee (retired)

I completely agree with this idea! The other day I created a subVI and realised I'd left a comparison function outside, on the left hand side. I had to copy the function inside the subVI, create controls for its inputs and connect the connector pane terminals of the subVI to those controls. 

It would have been much easier to "Resolve subVI", reselect the portion of the block diagram that I wanted to transform into a subVI, including the comparison function this time, and select "Create subVI" again.