From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arcus111

Remote Front Panel Security and Authentication for LabVIEW Web Server

This idea is no longer in development. I'm moving the idea back to the 'New' status to be considered for a future LabVIEW 20xx release.

Remote front panels are easy to get working and do a great job of viewing and controlling front panels for existing LabVIEW programs. It is not the best approach for providing LabVIEW functionality in a web page, but can be up and running quickly. The problem is that there is very little security built into the LabVIEW Web Server. Years ago, when it was using the G Web Server, you could use simple HTTP authentication via htaccess.txt files. That feature is no longer supported. You can embed the control in a web page hosted by another web server and have the control point to the LabVIEW web server. This provides an outer shell of authentication and security, but still exposes the vulnerable LabVIEW Web Server to potentially malicious actors. The existing locks on IP address do nothing to protect against other users behind the same firewall.

So, my request is to simply provide better security and authentication features for the LabVIEW Web Server that is serving up remote front panels. Just re-implementing basic HTTP authentication and restricting access to folders via htaccess would go a long way with (I presume) not much effort. NI could even switch to an open source web server with existing authentication capabilities and customize it to serve front panels. Or provide a custom module/handler/action for Apache (or similar for IIS) to serve front panels.

For a feature that has been around for so long, I am surprised that security and authentication functionality has not been improved or updated.

10 Comments
Deborah_B
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Development

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Arcus111
What do I need to do to beta test this feature? Thanks.
Darren
Proven Zealot

You can request to be added to the LabVIEW beta program here: ni.com/beta

Arcus111
I have the beta, now to find documentation on this added functionality. Any suggestion for understanding how this feature works? Thanks.
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Any questions you have at this point should be done in the Beta forum.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darren
Proven Zealot

I was just informed that this functionality is not in the LabVIEW 2016 beta after all, but is still currently being developed. I will move the idea back to "In Development". Sorry for the mistake.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Ervin_Seferi

Authentication for front panels through web app would be great. Another feature may be OpenID authentication. just client side is fine as most LabVIEW applications would only need this feature. Goes a long way to single sign on capabilities. I currently have to maintain a user list and have no easy way of interacting with our single sign on Server. Just started reading through OpenID.net documentation in the hope of figuring out how to provide this feature myself. 

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: New

This idea is no longer in development. I'm moving the idea back to the 'New' status to be considered for a future LabVIEW 20xx release.