LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbutcher

Reevaluate Ideas marked as "Completed" if the reason is implemented in NXG

I have re-opened the Ideas listed here. I'm not going to do an automated re-opening of ideas because I don't want to re-open any that should legitimately remain closed (and introduce noise to the system). If you find ideas that you believe should be reopened, please add a comment and I'll evaluate them. Thanks!

There are several great ideas on this Idea Exchange that were marked as Completed because they were implemented in NXG.

Although arguments could probably have previously been made that this wasn't really "complete" for most requestors, it was reasonable given the idea that NXG would replace LabVIEW 202x.

Given the updated fate of NXG, can these posts all be reevaluated and marked as either New or In Development, as appropriate?

If the evaluation is too effort-intensive, can they all be marked as New again?

GCentral
5 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

As R&D said when NXG was cancelled, this reevaluation is already being done. It will take a couple years, honestly, to reevaluate what can be backported and what cannot. I don't think a mass "change declined back to new" is the right solution since some of them were kicked to NXG precisely because LabVIEW technically cannot support them or they conflict with the way LabVIEW operates (many primary aspects of LabVIEW were completely changed for NXG, such as no longer storing the paths to subVIs inside the VI, which opened up a wide range of features).

The LV2021 feature set was already well down the road when the NXG decision was announced (internal to NI announcement was not much earlier than external), so although the reevaluation has started, it won't start in earnest until LV2022 is in sight.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

But the ideas (here, on the idea exchange) are now blocked from getting kudos.

That will influence the reevaluation of the ideas.

cbutcher
Trusted Enthusiast

The ideas I was particularly concerned about are not those that are Declined, but those that are Completed. I haven't been able to find any Ideas that were declined as a result of being implemented in NXG, but finding Completed Ideas is quite easy - e.g. 
https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Same-Height-of-Unbundle-by-Name-Terminal-Local-Variab...
https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Align-objects-should-not-align-increment-decrement-bu...
https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Smaller-Event-Ref-Constants/idi-p/1218942

This was the closest I found for a Declined Idea relating to NXG (perhaps...)
https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Make-adding-label-wires-super-easy-Step-1-Select-Wire...

You can still give kudos to Ideas which are Completed, but you cannot for Declined Ideas. However, I suspect that most people browsing the Idea Exchange don't check the Completed group too closely for things that are currently bothering them.
More critically, I don't know how likely it is that those picking possible Ideas (from within NI, for development) search through Completed Ideas when picking the next thing to work on (I suspect this has little to do with the actual development process, but I'd hope given the purpose of the Idea Exchange it at least has some relation to the way tasks are prioritized/allocated/targeted/whatever).

GCentral
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>You can still give kudos to Ideas which are Completed, 

OK, I did not know that. Indeed, I haven't even tried.

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: Completed

I have re-opened the Ideas listed here. I'm not going to do an automated re-opening of ideas because I don't want to re-open any that should legitimately remain closed (and introduce noise to the system). If you find ideas that you believe should be reopened, please add a comment and I'll evaluate them. Thanks!

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D