LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Solutest-Brice_Blanc

Reduce LabVIEW Runtime size to only what is required for the *.exe to run

Hi all LabVIEW fellows and users,

I know this has been asked many many times but one more might still help getting it.

Everybody agrees to say that today LabVIEW has became a great general purpose programming environment not only dedicated to test, measurement, instrument control or data analysis but able to manage virtualy any kind of requirement which is very cool for us LabVIEW programmers.

However, to my opinion one thing is still slowing down the use and spread of LabVIEW for developping general purpose applications that is the HUGE SIZE of its run-time engine!!! An average executable size for an application ranges from 1mb or less to 10 or 20 mb for quite large applications. The run-time for being able to execute it is at the very least 10 to 20 times larger which makes it very difficult to release over the internet.

I recently created a small application that monitors the state of the caps and num lock key and indicate the state with a tray icon since my computer is not equiped with those LEDs. I know some other users would appreciate to have that little piece of code since they might experience the same problems I had. How can I explain them that the application and installer is about 200 MB for such a tiny little piece of code? Don't you think people might believe that the proposed application is stuffed with malwares of that there is a BIG probleme with it?

Please dear NI decision makers make LabVIEW a "real" general purpose developping environement by adjusting the installer size to only what is required for the application, the whole community would appreciate so much at least make this option selectable.

Hope this will be listened.

Best Regards,

Brice

La solution test et mesure
2 Comments
Knight of NI

I think people need to get a little perspective here. Consider these sizes for the .NET offline installers:

• .NET 1.0: 19.7MB
  • .NET 1.1: 23.1MB
  • .NET 2.0: 22.4MB
  • .NET 3.0: 50.3MB (32-bit)
  • .NET 3.0: 90.1MB (64-bit)
  • .NET 3.5: 197.0MB (it contained both 32-bit and 64-bit)
  • .NET 4.0: 50 MB (32-bit & 64-bit)

Even a "small" app written in .NET would require one of the above installers if you don't already have it installed on your computer.

This has also been asked before: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Segment-the-LabVIEW-Run-Time-Engine-RTE-to-ONLY-Necess...

srdfrn
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Duplicate