LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beuvink

Re-enable case label editing for diagram disable structure

For some reason in newer LabVIEW versions, it is no longer possible to change the case label of the diagram disable structure.

It is still possible for these structures created with 'old' LabVIEW versions but not with new ones (see attach).

I mentioned this in the forum, but the only reaction I got was that this is 'bug' that has been fixed. Enabled and disabled are all the labels you need.

I think it is not a bug, I think it is a very usefull feature, because of the reasons below.

It is already clear which case is enabled in two ways:

- The [*] in the label

- The circuit isn't greyed out.

However I think it is/was a great feature to change case labels:

- The label can include a version number of the implementation (and/or a date)

- The label can include information what the difference is between implementations

- The label can include why a piece of diagram has been disabled

Of course this can all be added in the subdiagram label or other comment methods. However:

- This takes up extra space which may require some moving around other parts

- It takes a few clicks more to get there

And most of all:

- If you just click on the label itself with the 'finger tool' you get a list of all labels (iterations) of this disable structure. Using named cases you can in one click see why the disable diagram is here and what iterations have been made.

A bit more details and discussion:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Diagram-disable-structure-edit-case-labels/m-p/4067566

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
1 Comment
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Related (those structures are flavors of the same node):

Allow-to-add-a-name-to-the-type-specialization-structure

I knew it sounded familiar.