From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteenSchmidt

Quick Drop from clipboard

Hi,

I love the CTRL+I Quick Drop shortcut where I can clip a chosen object into one or more pre-selected wires. Often I have what I need to insert already in the clipboard though (or it's very easy for me to get that object into the clipboard), but I can't use the clipboard with Quick Drop.

Therefore it would be great to have a built-in Quick Drop modifier that skips the function list and instead acts immediately with the object in the clipboard. Or maybe the selection list should still appear, but the text field could be pre-populated with a text like "<clipboard contents>" that doesn't filter the selection list. If you then instead start to type something that text should immediately be replaced by what you're typing, and the filtering should commence:

QDClipBoard.png

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
6 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Does it even need to put the "clipboard contents" in the selection?  Why not alter the Insert and the Replace so that if nothing is selected (empty string in the selection box) then use the clipboard contents.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

That could also be a way to use it.

Mads
Active Participant

Why even require quickdrop? Just make it an option in the Insert menu when you right-click on the wire. You could always have it in QD as well, but you are already clicking with the mouse on the wire so having it available at the click of the mouse button is quick and intuitive.

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

That's true Mads, getting this into the context menu would be great as well.

The issue is that the "insertion" scripting code is already present in QD, and our other wishes for enhancements to the context insert/replace menu has so far been ignored. As it is an understandable case of resource management I think getting QD to do it would be easier than getting it into the native LV IDE. That's all.

/Steen

Mads
Active Participant

I understand. It's worrying that people start to give up on getting the native IDE improved though. I had to blow some steam myself just now with this post.

DanyAllard
Active Participant

Hello Steen I made a modification to the existing Replace/Insert plugin to achieve this behaviour.  Replace from ClipboardInsert from Clipboard 

LabVIEW ChampionArchitect