LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
YusufD_UK

Provided Glyph Size In Icon Editor

This functionality is already available in LabVIEW NXG. It will not be provided in LabVIEW 20xx due to the limitations of bitmap-based icons.

Is there a way to change the provided glyph size in the Icon editor? If not I think this should be added

7 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Which glyph are you changing and to which size?

Some glyphs are bigger, some are smaller.  Throw enough on there and some will overlap.  You and edit them once placed in the icon editor, or make your own and place it in the glyphs folder.

YusufD_UK
NI Employee (retired)

Hi RevansFan,

Thanks for your reply.

From the image attached, the two overlapping glyphs are "Progress_Bar" and "Buffer". These come automatically with LV 2018. If you could reduce them in size I think that would be great. There's no specific size, but if you could just highlight the image with the select tool and reduce the size. I think this could be applied to a number of glyphs, as you suggest I could make my own, but it seems like a longer method. 

This is not a major issue, just an idea.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Yusuf

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Okay.  So your idea is about adding some sort of scaling tool in the icon editor?  If so, that wasn't clear in your post.  I thought you were talking about reducing the size of the glyphs that are provided.

I doubt this idea could ever be implemented.  An icon is only 32x32 pixels.  Glyphs are less than that.  Any scaling function requires multiplying by a fraction of the original size.  It would leave you with fractional pixels that don't exist.  Considering many features in glyphs are only 1 pixel wide, how do you propose to scale them downwards?

YusufD_UK
NI Employee (retired)

I guess it's the same thing though, reducing the size of glyphs would need to be done with a tool. I think that would be the simplest way. But I think you're right, it's probably not possible. 

My idea would be similar to paint, from the initial image, I've reduced in size through the paint select tool as shown in "Capture2" below.

Capture2.JPG

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

LabVIEW 20xx has a bitmap-based icon editor. As such, it really can't handle scaling of the images -- glyphs are already below the 32x32 size, and pretty much every pixel in most images is critical to recognizing the glyph. Some few, like the scale, might make sense to shrink, but that's pretty rare. Given that most glyphs would not benefit from the feature, I don't expect us to ever implement this functionality in LabVIEW 20xx.

LabVIEW NXG has a vector-based icon editor and already supports scaling the individual glyphs.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented

This functionality is already available in LabVIEW NXG. It will not be provided in LabVIEW 20xx due to the limitations of bitmap-based icons.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

@YusufD_UK wrote:

I guess it's the same thing though, reducing the size of glyphs would need to be done with a tool. I think that would be the simplest way. But I think you're right, it's probably not possible.

My idea would be similar to paint, from the initial image, I've reduced in size through the paint select tool as shown in "Capture2" below.

The one problem with your recent example is that yes, you did downscale it in paint.  But that image in the icon editor is scaled up to 320x320 on the screen so you can see what you are editing.  Each pixel is represented by a 10 pixel by pixel square.  It is easy to scale down a 10x10 area of pixels, to 5x5.  But when that 10x10  represents 1 real pixel, what is a 5x5 block supposed to represent?  There is no such thing as a 1/2 pixel.