LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide access to high resolution graph export

When I print a front panel containing a graph (who ever does that?) I get a stunningly beautiful publication-quality render of my data (overlooking the poorly done vertical y-axis label). However, all the many options of directly exporting a graph image (detailed here) ultimately provide only a screen-resolution image. See the contrast in image quality below:

Comparison.pngPrinted front panel vs exported graph image.

This idea has been discussed ad infinitum on the forum (see, for example, here, here, herehere, and here), but has never been adequately resolved. (Enlarging the graph for export does not work since graph elements do not scale, so lines, points and labels end up being far too small.) High time to implement a feature that has been in demand since (at least) 2002!

3 Comments
Trusted Enthusiast

Any thoughts on the file\format of that export then?

The existing options (.bmp when we Copy Data, or the "image data" returned by Get Image, which can then be converted to .jpeg, .png and .bmp), are all fine. I'm not asking for anything complex, just a high resolution (300/600 dpi instead of 72 dpi) export of the clearly available image data. Of course, the idea could be extended to an overhaul of the Export Simplified Image options, which provide for vector formats (.eps and .emf) that are not presently utilised. Or for full control, a "resolution" parameter could be added to the Get Image method.

I'm afraid I know the answer will be: not in LabVIEW, use NXG. But I will add kudos.

The Print.Panel To Printer invoke node prints with high DPI, so you could try that, although it will only print to a printer and not an image. But it does not always do the same as the menu function, the graphics can be corrupted if I have something on top of the graph, in this case a string ("20") with custom graphics, which renders a black box on the graphics and the scale label:
graph print bug.PNG

Certified LabVIEW Architect

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! VIPM Github