LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide a tooltip for Recent Project entries to see project path

If there are multiple projects with the same name listed in the Recent Projects list, there's no way to determine which is which:

recent_project_tooltip.png

The idea is to display a tooltip showing the full path of the project when hovering over an entry.

5 Comments
Knight of NI

There is a tool tip in the list on the Getting Started Window.  But I can't say I have ever seen a tool tip for a menu item in any application.

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
Knight of NI

Yes, the Getting Started Window ( menu, edit, show GSW) has that!  Any text editor  can open your LabVIEW.INI. 

But, why do you have multiple projects with the same name?  SCC.

Trusted Enthusiast

>But, why do you have multiple projects with the same name?  SCC.

Comparing branches\revisions simultaneously. Doesn't happen that often, but it happens.

> But I can't say I have ever seen a tool tip for a menu item in any application.

I've seen it in Inkscape, which is the inspiration for this idea:

recent_project_inkscape.png

> Comparing branches\revisions simultaneously. Doesn't happen that often, but it happens.

This was my use case. I had also saved the project for a previous version, which was then opened for a quick sanity check. This led to three visually identical project listings in Recent Projects.

Trusted Enthusiast

I'll kudo it.

But if it is implemented, I want it for "Recent files" too.

Spoiler
I think it will appear in the "Recent files" menu more often, as I often edit VIs with the same name, for instance when implementing a method in all children of a class. Then the VI name doesn't mean anything, without the class name. And the class name will get replaced by "…".
Recent Files Tipstrip.png