LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dataflow_G

Provide a tooltip for Recent Project entries to see project path

If there are multiple projects with the same name listed in the Recent Projects list, there's no way to determine which is which:

recent_project_tooltip.png

The idea is to display a tooltip showing the full path of the project when hovering over an entry.

5 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

There is a tool tip in the list on the Getting Started Window.  But I can't say I have ever seen a tool tip for a menu item in any application.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
JÞB
Knight of NI

Yes, the Getting Started Window ( menu, edit, show GSW) has that!  Any text editor  can open your LabVIEW.INI. 

But, why do you have multiple projects with the same name?  SCC.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>But, why do you have multiple projects with the same name?  SCC.

Comparing branches\revisions simultaneously. Doesn't happen that often, but it happens.

Dataflow_G

> But I can't say I have ever seen a tool tip for a menu item in any application.

I've seen it in Inkscape, which is the inspiration for this idea:

recent_project_inkscape.png

> Comparing branches\revisions simultaneously. Doesn't happen that often, but it happens.

This was my use case. I had also saved the project for a previous version, which was then opened for a quick sanity check. This led to three visually identical project listings in Recent Projects.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

I'll kudo it.

But if it is implemented, I want it for "Recent files" too.

Spoiler
I think it will appear in the "Recent files" menu more often, as I often edit VIs with the same name, for instance when implementing a method in all children of a class. Then the VI name doesn't mean anything, without the class name. And the class name will get replaced by "…".
Recent Files Tipstrip.png