From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren

Provide Quick Drop option to only show project items in "active" project

Available in LabVIEW 2020 and later. Quick Drop will only display project items for the active project, helping to avoid cross-linking issues across projects.

In addition to displaying the names of all palette items, Quick Drop will also display the names of all VIs, classes, typedefs, etc., that are present in all currently-open projects. It has been suggested to me that we should provide a configuration option in Quick Drop to only display project items from the currently "active" project, to avoid potential cross-linking issues that can stem from accidentally dropping an object from one project into a VI that is open under another project.

4 Comments
EthanStern

I don't think I ever want to QD across projects and the ability to do so is (to me) a supreme nuisance, rather than a feature.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Just want to mention that with two projects with the same name, the QD indeed shows two names for each function. But what is worse: no matter which you pick, it doesn't work. Last tested in LV13...

Why would I want two projects with the same name? For instance to (manually) compare two versions from two SCC revisions.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW 2020 and later. Quick Drop will only display project items for the active project, helping to avoid cross-linking issues across projects.