LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Amir_Y

Proper "Event Data Node" when adding new event

Moved to Corrective Action Request (CAR) database. CAR#290116. This will allow R&D to work on the reported bug.

Today, when adding new event, the Event Data Node is duplicated from the previous event.

Sometimes, this node does not match the new event and breaks the code.

Simple example: When the current event is "Menu Selection (User)" with node chosen "ItemTag". Add new event like "Panel Close?". The new event will be created with "ItemTag" node, and the code will be broken.

Of course, there are many more examples for that, and this is happening quite a lot.

Instead, LabVIEW can choose the first node that matches the new event.

Regards,

Amir.

6 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Can you show us some screen shots that demonstrate what you are talking about?  Are you using Add event case, or Duplicate event case?

Amir_Y

There they are:

Step 1:

Step 1

Step 2:

Step 2

Step 3:

3.PNG

GregR
Active Participant

This is just a bug. The current behavior is very inconsistent. I was able to reproduce the specific case mentioned. If the current frame is for "Menu Selection (User)" with only "ItemTag" being accessed, "Add Event Case..." and choosing "Panel Close?" does result in a broken "ItemTag" accessor. However if you start from the same situation and instead add "VI Scroll" then the accessor changes to "VisibleBounds.top". I have not been able to detect a pattern in which events pick a new field and which keep the old broken field.

Amir_Y

I must say that it is a very old bug, so I thought it was known for a long time (means NI didn't wanted to change it for some reason).

It happened to me so many times in the past (and present)... I can post many examples for it.

There is some inconsistency in how the node is generated. However, for a specific example it is consistent.

Here is one more example, for "Value change" after a dynamic "Mouse Down":

11.PNG

22.PNG

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I've asked that this idea be closed and converted to a CAR.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Moved to Corrective Action Request (CAR) database. CAR#290116. This will allow R&D to work on the reported bug.