LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vinny_Burzi

Probes for Loop Iteration

See AristosQueue's comment on page 2 for reasoning. Basically, systems would take a huge memory and performance hit to add this functionality. A lot of developers really like this idea so we will continue to look for ways to implement this in a way that wouldn't affect performance. This is not possible in the foreseeable future though (~2 years) so I'm moving this idea to declined for now but it will definitely not be forgotten.

I would like the ability to probe the loop iteration terminal ("i" in For and While Loops) without the need to wire it to something (indicator, edge of structure,...).

19 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

The i terminal is the most common use case for this, but this will probably be useful on any unwired output.

The main problem I see with this is that it has some performance implications. Currently, if LabVIEW sees code which has all its outputs unused, it ignores it when compiling the VI. I would say that if this takes too much effort, special code should be written to support just the i terminal as early as possible.

If there are performance issues, it could be off by default and only available if we enable "deep probing" or similar. It could be part of the "retain wire values" option.
altenbach
Knight of NI
LOL, If I remember right, this feature request was mentioned on a wish list on infoLabVIEW (or similar) sometime in the last century. 😄
InternationAL
I can't count how many times I've wanted this myself.  This would be great.
vt92
Active Participant
Great suggestion. I frequently need to see the value of the loop "i" terminal.
>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
James_R
Active Participant

Great suggestion !

the way I currently do this is to wire the i terminal to the bottom of the loop

index_probe.jpg

EDIT:  Sorry I just read your post more closely and this is what you already do

Message Edited by James R on 06-03-2009 02:52 PM
- James

Using LV 2012 on Windows 7 64 bit
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
You should be able to do relatively easily using a combination of the JKISoft RCF ( http://jkisoft.com/right-click-framework/ ) and the JKISoft WireNuts ( http://blog.jkisoft.com/news/announcing-the-new-jki-wire-nut-toolkit-for-labview/ ).

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
chris.b
NI Employee (retired)

Great idea!

The biggest need for this is at run time, when you cannot wire. 

Chris Bolin
LabVIEW Partner Program, CLA
muks
Proven Zealot

>>>The biggest need for this is at run time, when you cannot wire

totally agree. kudos

PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

May 28, 2003: LAVA LabVIEW Feature Suggestions: Michael Aivaliotis

Probe loop iteration terninal in for and while loops

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness