LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcduff

Permanent Knight License

For all of the work the knights of the forum do, I propose that upon retirement they receive a lifetime license to LabVIEW.

1. They deserve it.
  2. Their help on the forums for other users cannot be quantified. 

Not sure where I read it on the forums, but I think it stinks that @Ben needs to wait until the community edition is released to have a working copy of LabVIEW.

mcduff

11 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Community edition is due out in just a few months.  Not really enough to worry about it.  Besides, he has plenty of other projects to work on in the mean time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
mcduff
Trusted Enthusiast

Still think that after 10k posts, you should get a copy of LabVIEW.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

mcduff: I agree, but when I and others looked into this, we hit issues... the NI accounting system just isn't equipped for perpetual licenses that no one pays for -- an understandable oversight in an accounting system! Getting Ben the bits once was straightforward, but keeping him up-to-date with patches was daunting. The community edition is a workable solution. If that ever doesn't suffice, Ben has the contacts to ask us for help, and he will find many open ears here!

This idea really is kind of off-topic for LabVIEW, since it isn't asking for a change in the software. But, you know what? I'm going to leave this idea open. Why? Because Ben and the other Knights have earned it. 🙂

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Well, if you guys insist I earned something, then give me the SRL (license given to Alliance Partners)!  After all, that is what Ben should be used to.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
mcduff
Trusted Enthusiast

Well, if you guys insist I earned something, then give me the SRL (license given to Alliance Partners)! After all, that is what Ben should be used to.

It is earned. But you need to kudo the idea to gain some traction. 😀

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

The evil genius in me is thinking how hard it would be to automatically post a "😇" to every post on the forum... I don't, because it will degrade the value of the title (and I'll be there in a while anyway and I have a license).

If the stakes are high enough, others will try this, and eventually the code might even circulate. This is all about the numbers. The community edition will add numbers...

Is there any validity check on the nr. of posts? I'm sure frauds can be banned, but they have to be detected first.

BTW I have no doubt at all about the current knights.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

To curb wiebe's concern, there are new rules being implemented to receive ranks that include posts/kudo and posts/solution.  I am unsure of the timeline at the moment, especially since Lily recently moved on.

GCentral
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

I think a human should still be involved (kudos\solutions can be arranged with 2 accounts).

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Wiebe: I think it is safe to say we would never hand out a LV knighthood to someone that just generated spam. Knights are rare enough, humans will be seeing them.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

@AQ: Thanks. As long as it's not a completely automatic forum feature, I trust NI's judgement in this.