From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jokelnice

Path Constant as ICON

taking ideas like that seen here  , I got this idea: 

When working with "Path Constant", which works with a path too long, we observe look like this:

path2editado.PNG

Would be much nicer if we could double-click the “Path Constant” for us to see something like this:

path3 editado.PNG

The idea is this.

path idea labview editado.PNG

Ing. Jonathan E. Cruz Ortiz

ENERGÍA PROACTIVA S.A.S

Cel : (+57) 3173669343 - (+57) 3124451894

7 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I don't know about the double click to expand/contract.  I would prefer to treat this like the new string constant that can be turned into an icon and then there's a nice window for editing the string (see here:http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Collapse-Lengthy-String-Constants-to-an-Icon-like-LV-2...)

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
tomlawton

Tooltip should show full string, of course...

fabric
Active Participant

Kudos for the "icon view" concept... but I'm with crossrulz: I would much rather a path editor.

An expanded path can be unweildy. If you are an auto-grow user you risk exploding your diagram, and if you are a grow-your-own user then the expanded path is often obscured and unreadable anyway.

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

Double click to subtract/expand (as for cluster constants) isn't supported for strings in LV 2012, even though is says "completed" here? Only the text editor is IIRC...

I would just as well see an idea like this one implemented for string constants, path constants, enums, text rings etc. If that was implemented you could just shrink your path constant to display this for instance:

Shortened_path.png

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
Jokelnice
Active Participant

I think it is a good idea and would be more in line with the functions palette "file constant".

Ing. Jonathan E. Cruz Ortiz

ENERGÍA PROACTIVA S.A.S

Cel : (+57) 3173669343 - (+57) 3124451894

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Steen, the Truncate Long Paths has already be implented in 2012.  It works for constants as well.  I was playing with the string constant as well, and you are correct that the constant does not go to an icon.  I just has the edit dialog.  But I would still like to see the edit dialog for the path constants.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

Thanks, I'd just played around with strings and concluded that the truncate feature wasn't implemented in LV2012. But in fact it has been implemented for paths, I can confirm that. Unfortunately not for the other text based controls and constants...

/Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion