LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andi_S

Optionally reverse order for merge errors in order to get a better code

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The merging error function forwards the first error from its inputs to its output whereby "first" the number of the input is.

If there is a sequence of VIs producing error clusters which shell be bundled in the VIs calling order the code will not look very nice - see the first picture. This could be easily improved if there would be an option (e.g.. in the context menu of the merge error function) which would reverse the order of its inputs. See the second image.

merge error

Merge_Errors_reverse.png

5 Comments
Brian_Powell
Active Participant

Personally, I would have eliminated the sequence structure and used the error in terminals on the four functions.  If a function didn't have error in, I would wrap it in a subVI that did.

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot
It seems i had the same idea so i'll kudo this. 🙂
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Dragis
Active Participant

As Brian_Powell pointed out, it seems that for this case at least there are better ways to handle the errors. You can not use a Merge Errors and chain the errors (like one would normally do) or you could incrementally merge the errors in a chain, again not needing the sequence at all. Perhaps you can expand on the idea a little?

Andi_S

Maybe the sample with the sequence is not the best one in terms of programming style but it shows very good what I'm meaning: The errors wires in the block diagram coming sometimes in reverse order than needed for merging. I don't want to start a discussion if sequences are necessary or not.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.