LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manzolli

Option to dock the Tools Palette on the Toolbar

Even though I use the tools selection in the automatic mode, many times I need some specific tool not accessible in the automatic mode or force one like "Position/Size/Select". Sometimes, mostly designing User Interfaces (UI) that takes all screen, we got the Tools Palette blocking access to something. Then we move the Tools Palette until it get in front of something else.

The idea is to have an option to have all buttons in the toolbar. Some programs allows you "dock" just dragging the over the tool bar.

Many times we have plenty of space to have all buttons there, if not, we can have a second row of buttons. That will be nice to add more buttons as we wish.

tools palette buttons in the toolbar.png

PS: I added a swap button between the foreground and background colors. The idea is explained in this thread Swap Colors in Tools Palette.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
10 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
This idea has been posted as a subset of LabVIEW IDE Overhaul. I don't necessarily consider this post a duplicate because you may just want a dockable palette instead of the whole overhaul, but just pointing out another related idea you may be interested in. I give Kudos to both.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Two comments: tidy artwork, and I see you added the sneaky addition of being able to Swap Colors in Tools Palette. 🙂

***Edit: Just noticed your PS under the picture!***

Message Edited by JackDunaway on 01-29-2010 02:19 PM
elset191
Active Participant
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but if you shift+right click on the front panel the tools palette pops up.  I find this to be more than adequate.  I probably even prefer it to docking the palette.
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
muks
Proven Zealot
Manzolli
Active Participant

JackDunaway: The problem of "LabVIEW IDE Overhaul" ideas is that it has too many different ideas in one thread. I agree with "Allow dockable palettes... dock to either the edge of the screen, or to the top bar (pictured below) of LabVIEW.", but partially, because I am comfortable with one (or two) toolbar just bellow the menus. I don't like the idea of having a "Tabbed Browsing", maybe as an option. This is why I was no able to kudo the idea, even though I liked part of it.

elset191: Sure I am. Like many Windows standard commands, the idea is to give many options to trig a command, and let the user choose the way he likes the best: menu, keyboard shortcut, mouse shortcut (not standard, but my mouse has configured extra buttons to: Copy, Paste, Show Context Help, Tools Palette, Show FP & BD (Ctrl+E)), context menu, toolbar, etc.

muks: Yes, I Kudoed it.

I agree with JackDunaway that the LabVIEW IDE needs a revamp. This thread addresses only the docking of Tools Palette into the existing Toolbar. Maybe it could be more comprehensive...

Well, let's discuss it! This is what I like about this forums. 🙂

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
CrystalTech
Working with many other applications, this would be in keeping with the way a "window" works.  Making it selectable would have its advantages.  Good Idea.
gsussman
Active Participant
This is sort of a throwback to the LV 3 interface
Manzolli
Active Participant
Well, I started using LabVIEW version 5, thus I didn't know. Nice from you pointing that version 3 has it! Should no big deal to implement as an option.
André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
CM411

Good idea

RavensFan
Knight of NI

ChMa,

Just making a comment that says "Good Idea" doesn't help anything.  Make sure you kudo the idea.  If you are going to make a comment, make sure it has something meaningful to say such as a way to improve it further.  A simple "Good Idea" comment is otherwise just meaningless noise that crowds out meaningful conversation.