From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carls__

Option to automatically apply icons to all items

I pretty much always want VIs in a class to have the corresponding class icon template applied.

It'd be great if I could have this handled automatically rather than having to manually go in and click the "Apply Icon to VIs" button any time I notice that icons haven't been applied.

Perhaps something like:

carls___0-1590690121234.png

2 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Question: How are you typically getting into the state where you have a lot of  member VIs without the library icon applied? When you edit the library icon, LV offers to bring the members up to date. When you add a new VI to the library, it is brought up to date. The icon editor makes it hard to remove that layer (not impossible, but enough that you only do so deliberately).

The reason I ask is that doing this automatically was something we discussed doing early on and didn't do because users told us there were use cases for a VI not having the library banner, so we made it so that it was basically automatic and it took effort to get VIs that were out of sync. About the only way that happens now (that I know of) is dragging existing VIs into a library... and that use case is what the "Apply" button is for.

All of that is why I'm curious -- do you have a use pattern that we missed that is leading you to have more out-of-sync VIs?

carls__

I believe you've identified my main use case, but this is something I do quite a bit.  If I "add" a VI to a class as opposed to creating it from within the class, then the icon doesn't get applied.

Common times when I'll do this are:

- Create a stand-alone VI.  Decide I want it to be part of a class.  Move it on disk to the folder I have my class VIs in (usually by "renaming"), then add to class from the class project.

- I have a VI in a child class, then decide I'd prefer for it to be in the parent class.  Remove from child class, rename VI so it's in parent class location on disk, then add to parent class.

Perhaps a better solution than the one I proposed would be:

- If adding a VI into a class, then update its icon.

(Although I could see corner-case scenarios where users want to keep their original icon)