From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_carl

Option to Separate Breakpoints from Source Code

Breakpoints are great for debugging.  But...I've never wanted to share them with another developer, and I've never liked it when they add the dirty dot to code that I haven't otherwise changed.  This can lead to unnecessary code changes which can add hassle to source control, and it can lead to other developers unintentionally inheriting your debugging breakpoints.

How about an option to manage breakpoints separately from source code, perhaps similar to how compiled code is handled?

3 Comments
thols
Active Participant

My last team hated when I checked in code with breakpoints added. I thought of adding a pre-commit hook to look for breakpoints before allowing commit to SCC but never got to it. I would have liked this feature. Now I'm a single developer and don't need it, but it would still be good to be able to separate breakpoint change from real code change.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: Duplicate

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D