LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Herbert

Opt out permanently from "maintain wires connected"

Please let me opt out from this new feature, introduced in LabVIEW 2017, permanently in the setup dialog.

Using LabVIEW for a very long time (since LabVIEW 2.0), I never wished such a feature (it got only 27 Kudoes) - and - I am even using it's "anti feature", implemented up to now, constructively to detach objects (Pull control into a structure, connect it to the new target - and "Ctrl B").

This new feature, forced onto everybody, would be less annoying, if pressing "W" would reliably disable the feature. However,  at least in vritual windows machines (Parallels) on a Mac, it does not work 50% of the time.

37 Comments
Cyphery

Add me to the list that would love to see this as an optional feature or just swap the functionality so that W enables the 'maintain wire connectivity'. I have been trying to embrace this feature, but it isn't for me.

crxx

Yes, I want to have the option to DISABLE this feature too. Most time when I want to move objects to a different place, this feature doesn't do what I need. It's very annoying.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

crxx, then you had better give the idea a kudo (click the big star next to the idea title).  NI will see the kudo count well before reading any comments.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
dadreamer
Active Participant

I'm also one of those who wants to see this feature disabled by default and being toggled on/off with some special checkbox in the settings. After months of using LabVIEW 2017 I'm really tired of this "enhancement" because in 90% of my cases it doesn't help at all. Besides of that the W key doesn't work when the keyboard layout is switched to non-English language.

vt92
Active Participant

Worst feature ever and no way to disable

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
iannicholson

@Herbert@Cepera wrote:

... Unfortunately this does not work while shift-dragging, probably because shift-w is W ))...

You can Shift + Drag, just remember to let go of shift after you start dragging. Then the W toggle works well.

FWIW, I actually enjoy this feature. I learned the W toggle pretty quickly, and generally it is helpful. I'm fine with making it an option, but personally I like that it is enabled by default.

MichaelBalzer
Active Participant

How I wish I could kudo this again. This feature is terrible.

I've found even if I'm moving a self contained selection (a constant wired to some local variables) into or out of a structure, wires become deselected and then get shifted around. If I (remember to) press W, the wires remain selected and are unchanged. The wiring algorithm should at least handle this case and not apply any 'connected wire' logic.

maintain_connected_wires_sucks.png

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
dadreamer
Active Participant

@MichaelBalzer wrote:
How I wish I could kudo this again. This feature is terrible.

And still not reworked to be configurable in the LabVIEW settings, even in the recent LabVIEW 2018 Cat Sad It's odd given that this idea is more significant than the initial one (46 kudos versus 28!).

MichaelBalzer
Active Participant

Shame to hear the option isn't available in 2018. I suspect the feature was ported from NXG to ease the eventual transition, so won't be going away any time soon. As far as I can tell there's no way to disable this feature in NXG at all, W or not (I'll be happily corrected if this isn't the case).

More wire maintain connected wire shenanigans (LV2017 SP1 Edit: actually LV2017, the first issue seems fixed in SP1, though still changes the wiring per my previous post):

lost_wires.gif

Yeah, I didn't really need those wires anyway...

broken_wires.gif

The one potentially useful use case of dragging out of a sequence structure, and it doesn't maintain the wire (W was not pressed in this example).

MichaelBalzer
Active Participant

For those still wanting a permanent way to disable this feature, try adding the line below to labview.ini:

DragAutoWire=False

As an alternative, if you still want the feature but would like it disabled by default and toggled on by pressing W, I've made a little AutoHotkey script to help out as a gist on github. It'll press W automatically when you begin a click+drag on the block diagram to disable the feature, but can be re-enabled again by pressing W.